Shochu Food Pairing
Shochu is distilled from a variety of ingredients, and each of them has its unique flavour.
Izakaya Tomo stocks four kinds.
I'm dealing with Kokuto too. Please wait for a while.
Eat and drink what you love
That’s always best; however, Izakaya Tomo recommends the dishes which particularly match each Shochu.
Please try them out once.
- Potato Shochu tends to have gorgeous flavour and taste of sweet potato.
It’s best with deep-fried and strong-flavoured dishes
Buta Kakuni, Chicken Nanban etc.
- Barley Shochu is less distinctive than other Shochu but has a more aromatic flavour of barley.
It’s best with something fried and whitefish
Oyster Ponzu, Black Cod Teriyaki etc.
- Rice Shochu is mild and has a fairly thick taste.
It’s best with something less flavoured, sushi, and sashimi.
Tuna Yamakake, Tuna Tataki, Tuna Yukke etc.
- Kokuto Shochu is rather mild and has a sweet flavour.
It’s best with something sweet
Buta Kakuni, Teri Yaki, Carbonara Udon etc.
- Shiso Shochu is distilled from particular type of Japanese herb and is luxurious with a distinctive flavour.
It’s best to have both before and after the meal.